Pages

I have decided to live life to the fullest. I'm going to try and do new things on a regular basis, try and visit new places, try and not live such a boring life. In essence I want to live like a tourist in my own town. Visit places, see new things. Let's live this life to the fullest!!

Monday, October 25, 2010

A favorite pastime...

Yep, we went wine tasting again! The weather was nice, it was a little warm out at times, but we had a good time none-the-less. Mike and I went with my mom, Kate, Clay, Will and Leslie.

Stop #1: Maloy O'Neill
Tasting Fee: $5 (waived for military)

This place was so cute! They had a couple of bar stools on one side of the bar so you could sit and taste. They had a few whites, but mostly reds (Paso is more a red region). Their reds were good. A few of their blends were really good.
Here is the winery dog, Trixie I believe.


 And this little guy was just crossing the drive-way headed to get some wine.

 We went during harvest season so a lot of the wineries were working their presses and such. Here are the guys at Maloy O'Neill getting the juices out of the buckets of fermenting grapes.



 Stop #2: Pear Valley
Tasting Fee: $5 (waived for military)

This place was so pretty. It sat up on a hill and looked down towards the valley of Paso and the other wineries. Pear Valley had a greater selection of wines, they had whites, a rose, and a dessert wine. They were all pretty good. I didn't taste the dessert wine though (not my style). I'm not usually a rose drinker either but theirs is decent and I would have a glass of it.

Close up of the grapes (like I said we went during harvest season so their grapes all over the vines)



Stop #3: Rio Seco
Tasting Fee: $5 (waived for military + military discount)

Great wines, great company, and an interesting story. This place had a few good red mixes that made for easy drinking and a great table wine. Now for the story of this place...the current owners bought it from the state? how had acquired it after a police raid. Yes, a police raid. This property had at one point been a pot farm and drug selling location. If you looked around at this red barn you could see bullet holes from the shoot out at the police raid.

If you like port wine, they had a Zinfandel port that I hear was good.



Stop #4: Peachy Canyon
Tasting Fee: $5 (waived for military + military discount)

This winery is mostly known for its zinfandel's, which I'm not a huge fan of but they were actually pretty good. Their other reds were only ok. The place was pretty cute, I especially liked this sign which asked "Who's the skipper?" Gave me a little laugh.

 This building, now the winery tasting room, used be an old school house.


 Stop #5: Zenaida Cellars
Tasting Fee: $5

This place was very neat. The owner is a veterinarian in a town nearby. It had great wines. Everything I tasted here was amazing. Even their simple table wine was good.



 Stop #6: Edward Sellars
Tasting Fees: $5

This new tasting room was beautiful set in the middle of their vineyards. Gorgeous views. We came here  on the recommendation of another winery, but we weren't all that impressed.




Another successful day of wine tasting. All the stops were new places as well, which brings my grand total to over 40...only about 200 to go!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...