Pages

I have decided to live life to the fullest. I'm going to try and do new things on a regular basis, try and visit new places, try and not live such a boring life. In essence I want to live like a tourist in my own town. Visit places, see new things. Let's live this life to the fullest!!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Be proud, make a sign

It's fun to drive around the neighborhoods and see squadron signs in the yard. Every squadron has patches for their uniforms, and the same design is often put on a yard sign that you can put in your front yard to say "Hey, look at me, I'm in VFA-???" Well our new squadron did have someone that made these for them but apparently he turned out to be not such a nice guy, and he didn't do quality work, so they no longer work with him. So while mom was in town I put her to work! (And yes I did help, even though I'm not in any of the pictures working...) We made our own sign...

This is what we needed to make:


We went to Home Depot and bought a 2x2 piece of wood for $7. Went to Michael's and bought paint in the correct colors for about $10.

First step was to sand and prime the board...both sides. We painted the back side in a coat of the navy blue paint so it would look stream-lined all the way around.


 Step two was to put the "mach wave" and the light blue circle. We went and measured another sign and did our best to get the angles right. We discussed that there needs to be a template that the squadron hangs onto with the exact measurements...it would have made things so much easier!!

 Step three was to put the navy blue around the outside. We did about 2-3 coats of paint for each color.

Step four was to put the four diamonds in the correct place in the middle (I didn't a get a picture of this step). The diamonds are navy blue (hence Blue Diamonds...actually they are supposed to represent four hornet flying in the diamond formation with the mach wave)

Step five was to spray a sealant to help guard against the elements. I used a glossy Mod Podge spray paint sealer. As we are entering the winter and rainy season we'll see how well it holds up.

I still need to get a post to attach it to so I can stick into the ground, but right now I just have it leaning up against the house... Here is our finished product, not perfect but hey it's home-made!!!




1 comment:

Kelly said...

That turned out great!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...