Pages

I have decided to live life to the fullest. I'm going to try and do new things on a regular basis, try and visit new places, try and not live such a boring life. In essence I want to live like a tourist in my own town. Visit places, see new things. Let's live this life to the fullest!!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Giving Thanks...and stuffing our faces


Thanksgiving is a day spent with family giving thanks for everything we have. This year, two days before Thanksgiving my grandfather passed away. I will write more on that a little later, but we gave thanks for the 88 years he had on this earth, and the 66 years he had with my grandmother. 

Thanksgiving was hosted this year by my mother. We had a full day of cooking and hanging out in the kitchen. Everyone gets involved in our family. We cook together...parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. Like I said before, Thanksgiving is a time of being with family. When you have a large family you need lots of help to feed them. 

Thanksgiving food is my favorite. I love the smell of turkey and gravy and stuffing and vegetables and yams and pumpkin pie and apple pie. It all melds together so well. I always say that I'm going to do a Thanksgiving in June or July but I have yet to go that. Maybe this year I will invite the gals whose husbands are also on deployment and we can have a big Thanksgiving in July. Hmm...sounds like it could be a plan!! 




 Each year we try to make a few new recipes in addition to the traditional Thanksgiving foods. This year we had butternut squash risotto, green chili mac and cheese, an artichoke and spinach dip, and a pumpkin cake in addition to the traditional desserts. Everything was amazing!


 Here is our feast before anyone dives in.

We had a good time enjoying each other's company. Everyone was able to eat their weight in food, okay not really but it sure seemed like it! And desserts were amazing. No matter how much you stuff yourself with that amazing THanksgiving food you always can squish some dessert into the crevices of your stomach! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...